Saturday 13 March 2010

Session #5 (Pike) - PikeSaber's First Outting Session, Chichester Canal

Having bought the rod over a week ago today was the first chance I had to get out with it. I headed out to my usual haunt, the local canal.

Here she is...

I was using a #9 weight floating line due to the canal only being 3-7 feet deep. I was worried that the line might be a little too light for the rod and it did appear like that sometimes. There are a few areas where I can get a full cast going and the flies flew a lot further with a bit more line loaded into the rings. I think with a bit more room and some better casting from me this beasty will propell the flies great distances. The turn over I had from it was excellent and the flies that caused issues on my #8/9 rod have gone. It feels light and has a very comfortable grip and action. I am no expert by any means but the quality is felt in each cast.

I did manage to cast the last section into the canal but got it back, luckily the line did not snap. Note to self - put the bloody rod together properly or there'll be tears...

Here are the flies I tested out today with the rod:

Can't wait to try it out on the Chew Valley trip next weekend. I will report on it then as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment